Monday, February 4, 2008

550: Access is denied. Why cannot delete files on FTP server?

FTP is quite popular for transfering the large files since old days. One of the problem that I face previously is this: 550 (foo.txt) : Access is denied, when issuing a delete command from application on client side.

After looking the setting level for the FTP at IIS, I found the user has the right to read/write, but this problem still happens on issuing a delete command. I wonder what went wrong???


A check on the file properties on the server side, I found this file has a read-only attribute!

By modifying the attribute, the delete command is able to delete the file again. I think the application on client side does not have the ability to check the file's attribute, at least for Windows FTP service (Unix should have such ability, using: ls -l ). So the workout is the server side must set the attribute implicitly, through FileAttributes Enumeration.


7 comments:

Arvind said...

Good

gary said...

tq :)

Jou said...

Who could imagine that this basic configuration was the problem I had for so many weeks? great blog !!!

Unknown said...

Try this "LongPathTool" tried and tested.Guaranteed fix. Here you can rename, delete, open and move your files instantly
without the worries of error messages saying that there is some sort of a problem.

Unknown said...

I agree "Long Path Tool" guarantee a fix to access denied errors.

Tim Hangton said...

I suggest you try Long path tool is the very good program for easily delete, copy & rename long path files, error, unlock solution.
Try it and solve your problem.
I used long path tool and I solve my error, unlock problem solution.

Beautiful blog said...

I suggest you Long Path Tool will let you easily delete, copy or rename long path files, you can try it for better service.